Thursday 12 October 2017

Art therapy

As a professional textile designer, I spend my days designing patterns that are printed onto cotton and sold around the world. I feel very lucky to have a job where I am designing every day, but nowadays it's all done on the computer. When I first started designing textiles, all patterns were created with pencil and  paint and took a lot longer to do. I am happy that times have changed and the process is easier and quicker to create now, but I do still miss proper painting.


Last night I decided to get my paints out and try a spot of painting. It was so therapeutic! I'd forgotten how pleasing it was, squeezing out the paint from the tube and mixing it to the right consistency before bravely placing the first brush stroke onto the page.


I decided to paint one of the clutch bags from my collection and chose a bold red clutch made from a kimono fabric with blossom flowers on it. I started off by roughly drawing out the bag in pencil and then I slowly filled in the red areas around the white flowers, with a touch of yellow for the centres. It was finished off with some bold gold for the clasp.


Here is the original bag. You can find it in my store here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts